Friday, March 19, 2010

A New York Beauty

Thursday I took another stab at my county fair block. I revised my original drawing and then traced it onto another piece of paper. (Because, of course, if I used the original pattern, I wouldn't have anything left to trace for the next square.)
This pattern was regular paper (or rather, parchment paper, but it turned out to be the same weight as regular printer paper). I don't recommend it. I'll have to go out and buy some tissue or other specialized paper.

The regular paper dulls your needle quicker, is hard to rip off, and wrecks your seams even as you rip it off.

I incorporated several changes:

1. The spikes are different heights which is closer to how the original statue is.

2. There's no longer a final section of background fabric sewn to the outside of the block. It was hard to piece (and have it flat) and it created a seam right where you would want to sew the sashing on. Not good.

The new pattern continues the seams of the spikes all the way to the outside edge. I should have thought of this sooner as it is exactly how it was done on my Hawaiian Star quilt.

3. It started even larger. It's supposed to be 12.5" edge to edge. I made the original block 1/4" larger all the way around so I could cut it down, and it was barely 12" (in spots--it wasn't exactly square!) The second one I made 1/2" bigger on each side and it was still close when I tried to trim it down to 12.5 inches!

4. I changed the design of the windows. I'm not overly happy with either, but the first one is closer to what it should be.

I think that is all, and here is how it turned out:

I set the two blocks side by side for fun and you can see how a fun assortment of these blocks could come together to quite a lovely quilt:
One name for these blocks is New York Beauty which is very fitting for the Lady of Liberty. Another name is Cinqo de Mayo which would be more appropriate if she came from Spain rather than France.

But with the influx of Spanish speaking residents in recent decades, perhaps it's more fitting than it first appears.

I think after these two prototypes, I am ready to draw up a final pattern and use the "real" fabrics from the county fair set. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

  • Retreat Project - My focus in 2024 has been to make progress with quilts that I've had on my 'to do' list for years. I had planned to work on two of those quilts at the Ja...
    13 hours ago
  • One more fabric............ - I found another Kaffe print in the same red/orange as the button fabric for a possible choice for binding. I have to check all around the edge and make ...
    14 hours ago
  • Singularity - It's been quite a few years since The Midnight Quilt Show ended, and to this day I still miss it. It was always a delight watching Angela Walters every wee...
    1 day ago
  • Colorful! - I had a few more quilts to share but I guess I didn't get them photographed. I have been so busy lately; I don't always get everything done by the end o...
    1 day ago
  • Twenty - There’s quiet music playing in the kitchen. I’ve got a cup of tea and it’s snowing. My sweater knitting is calling me, but the house is a mess so really I ...
    3 months ago
  • More finished quilts for Covered in Love - Guest blogging here and here.
    1 year ago
  • A Beekeeper's Cushion - There was something about when the pandemic first began that put me in a “make due and mend” mindset. Maybe it was the uncertainty of what was going to h...
    3 years ago
  • Little Window Mitts - These mittens were inspired by the colourful glowing lights of midwinter’s night. Stained glass windows, cottage windows, fairy lights… any bright light th...
    4 years ago
  • I Kicked My Sandwich - I was hungry for pizza, but there wasn’t time. This was three days ago, when I was connecting in St. Louis on my way to Baltimore. I know the St. Louis...
    6 years ago

I Say! or at least I did once...