Friday, October 15, 2010

Socktober Check In

We're half way through Socktober, so I should be done one sock, right? If only!

I was doing pretty well. I was flying through the beautiful colours of the Noro. (You can see it's not really variegated which is what I thought looking at the ball. It's a typical long colour run of Noro.)
I had figured out my tension on the floats so things were going well.

I turned a heel (short-row, in this case):
(Isn't it funny how the colour changed so dramatically just after I turned the corner of the heel? Now it practically looks like I sewed two pieces together!)

Then I was zipping along on the leg:
But after quite a bit of denial, I finally had to admit that the leg was too wide.

See:
It really was too big. So I have ripped it back to the heel and am starting that part again. (There are some increases after the heel in the pattern; I just did fewer of them.)

But before I ripped it back, I weighed the two parts--the sock and the ball. I was starting to get worried about just how tall I could make the first sock while leaving enough for the second sock.

This actually delayed progress for quite a number of days. I can't find my scale. So the poor sock sat around languishing. Finally I gave in and used Troy's scale in the garage. The one he's always telling me to use. It was quite dirty, but I managed.

Anyway, the good news, and I'll type this for the record, is that the sock weighed about 30 grams and the ball weighed 75. That means there's plenty of wool--yeah!!

Now that I'm back on track, I'm hoping this sock will fly again. And hopefully I'm taking good enough notes that the second one won't need as much ripping back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...