Thursday, February 17, 2011

Another Travel Project

I'm headed on a trip and all of my current projects are too big to bring along. So what am I to do? I really don't need to type it in black and white, do I? But I will...start another one!

I've had in mind to make myself a pair of "footless socks" to wear under pants for warmth, or peaking over the top of my boots for fashion. (I got that one from my friend, Wendy; she really knows how to rock the look.)

When I was spending my Christmas Red Purl certificate (thank you, Boss), I added some of Sandy's homespun wool to the pile. It's a beautiful golden wheat colour. Quite varied with still a consistent over all look. I had admired it a number of times and finally decided I could take it home. After I got it home, I realized it was perfect for this idea.

I did some a swatch in the 2x2 ribbing I was planning to use.
30 stitches = 3" unstretched
and 6+ inches stretched.

I threw those numbers in a blender with the measurements of my ankle and calf and cast on 72 stitches. It seems to be working. I'm working top down, and if I think it needs to narrow I can always decrease some stitches on the way down. But first I need to get through what I want to be a very deep cuff.

Even though I cast it on to have it going for the trip, I haven't been able to stop picking it up. I've got over 4 inches done already. Do I need to say again how much I love working with wool!? This stuff is hairy in a good way--I'm not sure exactly what that means because before this wool I wouldn't have thought that was possible.

Maybe when this project's done, I'll tackle something else that's been rattling around in my mind: knit-covered boots, like these by D&G:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...