Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Question Answered?

Someone commented on my last post that they couldn't visualize the short row shoulder shaping that I referenced. I'm not going to do a full tutorial, but I thought posting this sketch might help: (This is how I conceptualize it.)
This is the garment shown "right side up." The direction of knitting is
from top to bottom, so this would be upside down of what it would
look like coming off your needles.
The drawing shows shaping for a garment with 75 total stitches, 3 "steps" in the shoulder shaping (of 7, 8, and 8 stitches respectively) and 29 center stitches for the neck.

Follow the line from the top left--this is the cast on of 75 stitches, across the full width of the piece. Then you turn the work and knit until you reach the far side of the neck stitches (7+8+8+29). Then you turn the work and knit across the neck stitches and one shoulder step (29+8). Then turn the work and knit to the far side of the neck plus one shoulder step on that side (8+29+8).

Keep turning the work (short rows), knitting across one additional shoulder step on each side. By the time you knit across all 75 stitches, you can see in the drawing that you have built up a lot more rows in the center than on the edges. This is what gives the sloped shoulder shaping.

Hope that helps a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...